Nathan Egger interviews Erik Townsend about trading strategies for the coming bottom in oil prices. Erik and Nathan discuss:
- A summary of the oil market fundamentals, as Erik sees it
- Potential counter-arguments to Erik's view
- How the "smart money" should be playing this coming bottom including; tanker trade, shipping container trade, etc
- How a commodities trader should be approaching a turn in the oil market including; contract selection, term structure, options
- Trading a reversal in crude oil from a fixed income manager's perspective - long/short strategies, potential contagions
- Other potential risks to credit markets
- An equity manager's view of an upcoming bottom - who will be the winners/losers, ETFs
- Strategies a retail investor can employ to gain exposure to the coming rebound in oil - contango-related risks to ETFs like USO
- The need for patience, regardless of which type of investor you may be
- and plenty more...
Get embed code for this episode. | For other embed code options click here | Download the MP3 File.
Click to Play Now!
Erik Townsend is a retired software entrepreneur turned hedge fund manager. Throughout his career, Erik has capitalized on his ability to understand complex systems and anticipate paradigm shifts far in advance of the mainstream. He launched a Global Macro-strategy hedge fund in July 2013. In February 2016, in a joint effort with Nathan Egger, Erik launched MacroVoices, a new weekly financial podcast program which will target professional finance, high net worth, and other “sophisticated” investors who desire financial content at a level of sophistication and complexity above what the retail investment-focused podcasts on the Internet presently offer.